Thursday 24 October 2013

Interview with Author Natalie Graham

Interview

What got you into writing?

I started writing whilst I was pregnant with my second daughter. I was having a difficult time with her and reading afforded me a distraction. That eventually stopped working and so I began writing as another method of distraction.

What plans do you have for the future?

I’m currently working on the sequel to Broken Ever After. It doesn’t have a title yet but I’ll be sure to tell you when it does. I have one more book to come after that in this series then I have plans for a different series.
I also have plans to do the other POV from BEA. I originally wrote it in a dual POV but ended up taking them out and put the removed chapters aside, so Jamie and Riley both keep nagging me for their side to be told. I’m not exactly sure when this will happen, or if anyone even wants it? But I’ll see once the third book is out if anyone would like them. I may release them on my blog, or as novellas, I’m really not sure yet.

As your book is about a teacher and student......is this a fantasy or based on an old crush?

HAHA! I’ve been asked this soooo many times! (Often by old school friends!) but no, it’s not based on an old crush. I was reading a student/teacher (work in progress – on WattPad) and as I couldn’t sleep, I thought to myself ‘What would I do with a s/t romance?’ So that was where that element came from.

How do you feel about the response your book has gotten?

I’ve been completely overwhelmed. I didn’t expect so many people to tell me how much they enjoyed it! It’s great getting messages from fans (Fans? That is totally weird to me, that my book has FANS!) telling me how much they loved it and they can’t wait for the next installment.
I’ve had a couple of people say to me they didn’t get it, which I’m fine with, books are subjective and don’t appeal to everyone. I like hearing those views too, telling me what they didn’t like and what I could do differently. It’s helping me grow as a writer.

What's the best part about being an Indie author?

I get to control every element of my book, from the cover photo to the very last word on the final page (I may be a little bit of a control freak).

What's the worst thing about being an Indie author?

Publicity. It’s a minefield for Indie Authors! Making connections, keeping on their goodside etc to make sure your name (and of course your book’s name) get ‘out there’. With so many amazing established authors already out there it’s hard for the ‘little people’ to compete sometimes. Not many readers will often take a chance on a new and unknown author.

Do you have a favorite place to write?

In bed, in the dead of night when I should be sleeping, seems to be the place my thoughts flow more freely.

Does anything help you to write like a certain play-list, snack?

I prefer to listen to classical music when I’m reading or writing. Sometimes I’ll hear a song on the radio or TV that will trigger a scene in my head, and I’ll put it on repeat while I write out that scene. One day I sat with a song that repeated around 50 times before I finished the scene. Needless to say, I pretty much hate that song now, but when I hear it again I always think of that scene and it makes me smile.

If you could meet one other author dead or alive who would it be?

Rebecca Donovan. I read her first 2 books in The Breathing Series which in a way (other than my pregnancy problems) motivated me to write Broken Ever After, so I’d love to meet her and give her a giant cuddle.

What's the one book you feel should be on everyone's Read list?

Other than The Breathing Series? I think Colleen Hoover’s Hopeless / Losing Hope. I’ve never cried so much reading a book as I did with those. I absolutely loved them. Reading Hopeless had a similar effect on me as The Breathing Series did; it pushed me further into writing my own novel.

Thank you so much for the Interview Natalie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment